Software deployment can easily become the most time critical and error-prone task in managing complex IT-infrastructures.
Our software deployment combines
- Initial installation of one or many clients (PCs or cluster nodes)
- Installation and configuration of various software packages
- Update of previously installed software packages
- Update of the operating system
With the Gemmantics Hive Software Deployment solutions the installation of a large PC environment or compute/data cluster becomes as simple as managing a single PC.
The Gemmantics Software Deployment solution covers the following areas
Monitor installation process
Monitor the installer process of 3rd party software or use the built-in bundle language GxML to create Hive bundles. The generated bundles can easily be deployed to all clients.
Manage clients intuitively
Clients such as compute nodes or PCs can conveniently be organized in group hierarchies. Install software bundles or execute commands on a specified group of hosts.
Separate static from dynamic content
While creating software bundles (either by monitoring the software’s installer or by using the built-in bundle language GxML) variable content in, e.g., configuration files can be identified using text markers. The corresponding values can be assigned to host groups.
Surviving reboots and reinstallations
All modifications of clients are always reboot-fix. Even if a computer has to be reinstalled all previously performed modifications are automatically applied again. The entire system is guaranteed to be consistent.
Step 1: Packaging
Typically before deploying software to a set of clients the software must be bundled. That can be done
- manually, by describing the software installation process in the GxML language or
- automatically, by monitoring the installation process.
Once the software bundle has been compiled it can be deployed to all computers.
Step 2: Assignments
Manage the IT environment with hierarchical groups. Clients can be joined to an arbitrary set of groups:
- assign clients to host group(s)
- assign configuration values to host group(s)
Dynamic content (such as the IP name of an application servers, proxy settings, etc.) are so obtained from the hierarchical database. Future modifications of, e.g., application server, does not require a new packaging or reinstallation of the software.
Step 3: Deployment
- can be updated by triggering the installation manually
- or will be automatic updated after the next maintenance cycle is reached
- or the client reboots
- or the client will be reinstalled.